Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, 1 September 2012


Retrospace is now four years old, and we've reached our 1500th post! I just want to say thank you to all my readers - I would've quit long ago had I not received such a positive reaction from you guys.  I've said this many times: Retrospace is a labor of love.  I don't get paid a nickle for this - all money from ads goes into the blog itself.  And I don't regret a single minute I've spent doing it.

I'm proud that we've reached 1500 because I like to think that Retrospace has very few 'throwaway posts'.  And with each month, the number of visitors grows and grows.  But my proudest achievement isn't the number of visitors, it's how long the average visitor stays on Retrospace.  Once they land here, they seem to linger.

So, thank you again to my loyal readers.  I'm celebrating right now with a glass of Belgian white ale, and hoping that in 2016 we can all commemorate post 3000 together.  Cheers!



Now, there's a few rather boring updates and news I have to share.  This will not interest many of you, so I won't be offended if you leave.  Thanks for dropping by.


1.  My blogger name has been Gilligan since 2008.  I signed up for Google+ and it required a full name.... so I haphazardly chose "Boogie Pilgrim" (from a yearbook and Elton John song).   Unfortunately, when I tried to opt out of Google+, it tried to delete all the posts I had done while enrolled!  So I'm freaking stuck.  And it won't let me change my name..... so, we'll see how that turns out.  Damn Google+.

2. I would like to get feed back from you on the amount of content within each post.  For instance, when I have a album cover post, it typically has over thirty images; Miniskirt Monday posts will have over fifty.  I do wonder sometimes as to whether 'less is more'.  In other words, just 5-10 per post may be plenty for readers to digest and comment on.  I wonder if I'm sometimes bombarding my readers with too much.  This isn't a book, it's a blog - something that you can just check in on quickly.  For instance, would you rather have 5 album cover posts with 5 albums each, or one album cover post with 25 albums? Many blogs just hit you with one at a time.  Drop me a comment or email and let me know.

3. You'll notice I don't often reply to comments on this blog.  That's a violation of Blogging 101, I know.  However, my job has me at home two weeks and then on the road two weeks.  I hate commenting on the road via my phone (it's a pain in ass) and when I'm at home I like to spend time making posts rather than replying to comments.  But I want you to know that, while in airports across this great land, I am reading each and every comment.

4. A great way to attract a search engine to your site is to specifically name your pictures.  In other words, the picture below should be named "magician" or "magic trick"...


....but it's not because I use shitty Flickr. Instead, it's name is "6144/6002470369_650f665bd7_b.jpg". Thanks a lot Flickr.  You suck.

Problem is, I've been using Flickr for 4 years, and to change would essentially mean all images on Retrospace would go bye-bye.  I could probably spend a week transferring them over somehow, but it's not worth that kind of headache. Why do I bring this up? No reason other than just to vent.

5.  A similar problem is my damnable URL.  I've bitched about this before.  When I started back in 2008, I didn't opt for the $15 URL without that annoying blogspot.com extension. I didn't think I'd be blogging four years later..... Indeed, I didn't think I'd be blogging four days later! This site should be simply retrospace.com..... instead it's my-retrospace.blogspot.com.  WTF? It's horrible, and far too late for me transfer over.

Well, I suppose I could go on, but this appears to have digressed into trivial whining.  I'd like to end on a positive note.  Thank you once again for visiting Retrospace.  I am so thankful to have this creative and therapeutic outlet.  Your time spent reading and commenting is much appreciated, and I hope you stick around for the next four years.  There's plenty of retro shenanigans to explore. Hasta mañana!

0 comments:

Post a Comment